Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 developer MercurySteam talked about the studio’s upcoming game on a recent Spanish radio segment. A couple of details were mentione. The game will run at 30 frames per second (locked) and will see better performance on the PS3 and Xbox 360 compared to the first title. There was also discussed about the technological elements surrounding the first title. Basically, the team ended up having to pursue a cheaper engineering approach which ultimately having a negative impact on the first game.
- Engine has been optimized for cell CPU multiprocessing capabilities this time around
- Lords of Shadow’s budget wasn’t humongous
- The team prefered more/better artists instead of multicore-experienced software engineers (rewriting the code wasn’t an option)
- Therefore using the CPU for rendering tasks didn’t make the deadlines and they opted for a traditional and cheaper engineering approach
- Because of this, the performance of Lords of Shadow was hurt on the PS3 and Xbox 360
- The sequel, Lords of Shadow 2, is at 30 FPS locked
- The game will have larger areas and better image quality